Friday, September 12, 2014

Tiny Tumblers

Last night, Addy attended her very first instruction-oriented program, Tiny Tumblers, held at our local YMCA. It's an intro to gymnastics class for kids aged 3-5 years. She was one of seven students; six girls and one boy. 


Once I made the decision to sign her up for the class, I made a point to talk about it with her often, to make sure she was well prepared and had accurate expectations of what the new experience would be like. She always seemed very excited with no apprehension. When we pulled into the parking lot and I began to unbuckle her, she said, "Well...I'm a little bit nervous." I told her that was a normal feeling and that the other kids were probably a little nervous also.

Overall, I will say that the first class was a success. She didn't run out screaming and crying, she made it through all 45 minutes, and she thanked me for bringing her and said she liked it. Within the first five minutes, she completed her very first true somersault, which had her beaming. Unfortunately, repeatedly doing somersaults also became her focus, so the rest of the time was spent reminding her to follow directions and listen to the instructors. At one point, the kids were asked to crab walk down the length of the mat. Addy tried it, but had a hard time keeping her butt off the mat. Her frustration elevated and she stomped off to the corner pouting for five minutes, not wanting to participate. Thankfully, that was toward the end off class, and she rebounded when certificates with smiley face stamps were handed out.

Addy and the little boy were the only two kids that had trouble following directions and were kind of off doing their own thing. I was relieved that she had a partner in crime! I think she will do better next time now that the first class jitters are out of the way. 
 
I tried to get a picture of her somersaulting, but this is what I ended up with:



I have a feeling she will be giving me plenty of opportunities to try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment