Friday, February 28, 2014

Achievement Unlocked

I'm sure I've mentioned before that Addy has extremely limited focusing and concentrating abilities. This is especially true in instances where she senses we WANT her to focus - like coloring for instance. She rarely sees an activity through from start to finish, unless it's something she has collectively spent a lot of time on and can finish quickly with little thought - like her wooden puzzles. But something that requires concentration, or learning a new skill? She'll give you two minutes tops, then forget it.

Over the past few days, however, I've noticed some positive changes in her desire and ability to focus, particularly with games. GAMES! I love games. In my head, I've been planning family game nights since before Addy was even born! We will have Rummy tournaments and Candy Land adventures. She will send me into bankruptcy while playing Monopoly. I.Cant.Wait. So pardon my uber enthusiasm over this latest development!

Aunt Steph and family gifted Addy the classic game of Don't Spill the Beans for Christmas. We attempted to play it once, but she couldn't focus long enough to even hear out the basic rules. So in the closet it went, along with Memory and a few others, until Tuesday. She found herself perusing the closets for who knows what, when she spotted the games. We spent - I kid you not - an entire hour playing games! This girl gave me AN HOUR of her attention listening to instructions and seeing games through from start to finish. We played at least six games of Don't Spill the Beans. We tried a pattern game from my childhood called Pick-It (made by Discovery Toys), and we ended with Memory. That's where I finally lost her. She plays matching games on electronic devices all the time, and she's quite good. But in real-life form, the concept of turning over two cards and ending your turn if they don't match was difficult for her to grasp. She kept flipping cards until she found a match, and she never set the mis-matched ones back in their spot. She quickly got frustrated with my trying to instruct her on how to play, and we put the games away for the day.
 
To my delight, however, she has asked to play games every day since. Here's what we played today, again for about an hour total:

Lots of bean spilling going on...this is her newest obsession.
At some point, it turned into this...

Don't Spill the Fruit Loops.
Not pictured, Don't Spill the Popcorn.
I did not agree to play Don't Spill the Crumbs. I had to draw the line.

This awesome Sorting Pie, gifted to her for her birthday by
my bestie and family. Pardon the blurriness.

This wonderful "game" available through Usborne Books & More
(my consultant is my bestie, Jennifer)
This is the Learning Palette, and we were matching pictures
to their beginning consonants. I LOVE this interactive learning tool!
I have had so much fun playing games with her the past few days. I hope the trend continues!

No comments:

Post a Comment