Friday, January 17, 2014

Taking control

I tend to shy away from New Years resolutions, because making them typically means I'm bound to fail. Almost as if, somewhere in the back of my mind I'm saying, if I don't succeed, there's always next year...

If I took the time to search through my blog posts, I know I'd find one where I laid out three or four resolutions for that year. Something to the effect of: become a better listener, lose weight, be a better friend. I don't remember them exactly, but I'm pretty sure I didn't meet any of my goals. 

But alas, here we are at the beginning of another year. Though I didn't start with intentions of forming any resolutions, I can tell you that something wonderful has sparked inside me and I have uncovered a resounding theme to year 2014. This is the year that I take control. This is the year that I create a healthier mind, body, attitude, and life. And this year is off to a smashing start.

As I said, something sparked inside me, and I'm pretty sure I know what started it. In mid-December, I began taking an antidepressant because I felt myself sliding into all too familiar territory, and I didn't want to be there again. By the year end, I felt less anxiety overall, but no significant change otherwise. And then something awesome happened - I noticed that my thought processes began to change. Every time I was faced with a choice, I found myself asking, which choice is the healthiest for my well-being? This way of thinking has led to a newfound focus on the negative triggers in my life and how to eliminate them. 

So far, I have made three huge changes to my daily life. HUGE. I quit Facebook, I quit the part-time retail job that I've held for over 12 years, and I eliminated gluten from my diet. I have more to say on all three topics, so I feel they deserve their own posts, to be written soon.

For the first time in, oh, EVER, I feel like I have a solid grasp on who I am, what I am doing here, and what I want out of this life. Cheers to a promising 2014, and hopefully many more...(I'm lifting my almost-empty wine glass).


1 comment:

  1. Very nice post Stacy! You are helping others with your open, heartfelt story. I wish you much love and success in your journey!

    ReplyDelete