Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Farewell, Home Depot

The second item on my list of huge changes I've made thus far in 2014 is the conclusion of  my being employed at The Home Depot.

I was hired at The Home Depot in August 0f 2001, as a cashier. During my 12+ years there, I worked in various positions including: cashier, head cashier, bookkeeping/computer room associate, district office assistant, scheduler, and RTV clerk. I have worked full time, part time, and most recently as a one-day-a-week cashier. It has, at differing times, been my bread and butter, my savings, my health insurance, and lastly, my safety net. Because of developments in my husband's career, I finally reached the point where I was comfortable with letting go of the safety net. Thus, with the full support of said husband, I turned in my two-week notice at the end of December. I worked my last shift on Sunday, January 12th.

Had it not been for my experiences at The Home Depot, I'm confident I would not be the person I am today. I worked with so many wonderful people that I truly see as my second family. They watched me, and helped me, grow up through my twenties. They supported me through hard times, comforted me through bad breakups, celebrated with me through every happy milestone, from graduating college to buying a house to getting married. They blew me away with their overwhelming generosity when they threw me a baby shower fit for a king. And they've supported me every step of the way on my journey through motherhood thus far. I am truly blessed to have been in the presence of such wonderful human beings for the past 12 years. And I've very lucky to have met two of my closest friends, Jennifer and Candy, while working there. Though I am sad to leave this family I've known, I am very excited to be devoting all my time and energy on being the best mother, wife, and household manager that I can be.

I definitely would not have been ready to let go of the safety net had it not been for my husband's level of support. We had talked a few times over the past year about me quitting, and he always told me to do what makes me happy. I hate that sentiment - it's so selfless for him to say it, and so selfish for me to act on it. So it was never enough to give me that push to go through with it. The turning point came on the evening of a family gathering; everyone in the family had plans to gather for a special breakfast the following morning, and I was expressing to Matt my disappointment that I wasn't able to attend because I was scheduled to work. His response was, "Why don't you just quit?" It was the first time HE initiated the discussion, so I took it more seriously. The next morning, I was leaning pretty heavily toward turning in my notice, but was still on the fence. My decision was finalized when I received the following text from him while at work:



It brought tears to my eyes when I read it. I have married such a considerate, selfless, understanding man, and I have no idea what I ever did to be deserving of him. They say that women often marry a man that reminds them of their father. It's true in many ways for me, and if it rings true for Addy, then she will find herself with a fabulous husband too. As of yet, I have no idea what my hobby is going to be! Crocheting? Crafting? Reading? Right now, I'm just enjoying having no weekend commitments!

After I announced to my Facebook friends that I would be deleting my account the following day, I remembered that I had planned on posting a status update announcing my departure from Home Depot and saying thank you to all my coworkers. So my final Facebook post ended up being just that - a farewell to Home Depot post.

1 comment:

  1. You've tried knitting and crocheting, and I know you're totally not into them. There's also.... Quilting. Sewing. Cross-stitch (Jamie can tutor you on that). Beading. Painting. Pottery (I have a friend who turned that hobby into a profession). Scrap-booking. Card making (my MIL and aunt-in-law do that), and you did such an awesome job with your wedding invitations and programs. Photography. Um. I'm out. Any of those sound appealing?

    ReplyDelete