Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Birthday Interview: Three Years Old

This year for Addy's birthday, I began what I plan to be an annual tradition - a birthday interview. I came up with a list of 20 questions that I will ask her every year on her birthday. The questions will be the same year to year, but it will be very interesting to see how her answers change over time.

I wasn't expecting much success with this at three years old, assuming I would get a lot of blank stares or non applicable answers. To my surprise, 18 out of the 20 questions were answered immediately, with no excessive thinking on her part - so I know I got the answer that came to her mind right away. For the remaining two questions, however, I was unable to get any answer out of her other than "Ummmm...I don't know?".

Here is Addy's birthday interview at three years old:

1.       My favorite color is: Blue
2.       My favorite book is: Llama Llama Misses Momma
3.       My favorite food is: Grapes
4.       My favorite movie is: Care Bears – my new one for my birthday
5.       My favorite TV show is: Tiger Neighborhood
6.       My favorite toy is: Yellow Duckie
7.       My favorite stuffed animal is: Yellow Puppy
8.       My favorite song is: B-I-N-G-O
9.       My favorite thing to wear is: Ummm…I don’t know
10.   My favorite memory is: Ummm…I don’t know
11.   My favorite activity is: Playing
12.   My favorite place to go is: The mall
13.   My best friend is: Mommy
14.   When I grow up, I want to be: Big & strong
15.   I am really good at: Don’t say questions. Those are enough questions.
16.   I like it when mom: Plays
17.   I like it when dad: Plays too
18.   I am beautiful because: My nose
19.   I like to learn about: One-Two-Three
20.   I get frustrated when: You take the pumpkin from Target

There were definitely some surprises in there for me. For example, she doesn't even have a yellow duckie, and she has never referred to any of her four puppy stuffed animals as 'Yellow Puppy'. I thought for sure she'd say her favorite place is the zoo, but the mall is something she does with just daddy on most Sundays while I am at work; clearly daddy-daughter time means a lot to her. I think my heart about exploded when I asked who her best friend is, and she looked at me, pointed her finger and exclaimed, "YOU, Mommy!" And then there's #20: I get frustrated when you take the pumpkin from Target. I feel I must explain #20. Earlier in the day, we had made a trip to Target. I notcied the Halloween stuff was 70% off, so I spent a couple minutes strolling down the aisle. As I looked around, Addy grabbed one of those plastic pumpkin buckets and was talking into it, fascinated by her echo. It was only going to be 30 cents, so as we headed to the registers, I left the bucket in the cart. She shouts, "No! Put this back! Halloween is over!" She seemed really upset at the thought of taking it home, so I placed it back on the shelf. Then as we headed to the registers yet again, she starts whining because she wants the bucket back. WTF child? Since it was only 30 cents, and I wanted it, I went and picked up the bucket again. Well, that led to a mini-meltdown, as she tried to throw it out of the cart repeatedly between the register and our car. Apparently, since she did not skip a beat when answering this last question, she really REALLY did not want me buying that pumpkin! But wouldn't you know, once we got it home, she wanted to take all her Halloween candy out of her existing bucket and put it in the new one? Yeah...three years old is going to be SO MUCH FUN.

No comments:

Post a Comment