Saturday, August 17, 2013

Homemade Granola Bars

Many months ago, I pinned a recipe for making my own granola bars with only five easy, always on hand ingredients. I made a batch the day I came across the recipe and was overjoyed with 1) how easy they were to make, 2) how tasty they were, and 3) how much Addy enjoyed them too - both making and eating them! I made a second batch earlier this week and with the first bite was questioning why it took me so long to make them again. Here's the recipe:

1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup natural creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup chocolate chips
2 cups instant oats, dry

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 pan (you can use 8x8 pan if you want thicker bars). Mix all ingredients together, adding oatmeal last.Spread evenly into pan and bake for 16-18 minutes, or until golden around the edges. Cool in pan on cooling rack for five minutes, then cut into bars and continue to cool on rack outside of pan.
Store in airtight container.

That's it! 

I used an 8x8 pan the first time and got 9 thick and chewy bars. For the latest batch, I used a 9x13 pan specifically to get more servings, thus fewer calories and sugars per bar. The bars turned out pretty thin and they didnt stay fresh for as long, but they were just as tasty as from the 8x8 pan. Here's the nutritional info per bar, based on 18 servings from a 9x13 pan:


No comments:

Post a Comment