Thursday, March 14, 2013

Most Embarrassing Moment (so far!)

Last night was a rough night for Addy. I put her to bed at 8:30, and after nearly two hours of restlessness, whining and crying, I decided to check on her. She began sobbing and trembling when I picked her up, and clung to me tightly when I held her. All I could get out of her was that she's scared of monsters. She refused to let me put her down. So, the next few hours were spent experimenting with places to sleep while holding her. Things were going well in the rocking chair, until she slid off while changing positions and her forehead made hard contact with the corner of the wall. Through heavy crying, she asked to lay in my bed with me. She has never once done so, not even to cuddle, so I was surprised by her request. She and I got in bed first, and she cuddled close with me until Matt tried to join us. She didn't like that at all and let us know it, under no uncertain terms. Crying, screaming, flailing her body in complete hysterics. Long story short, we settled back in the rocking chair for a while, tried the couch, and eventually I put her back in the crib. She must have been exhausted enough to accept it, because she finally went to sleep.

This morning as I dropped her off at Child Watch at the YMCA, the attendant, noticing the large bruise on her forehead, asked her what happened. I started to explain about the rocking chair, but Addy cut me off to talk about what she remembered from last night, saying,

"In mommy's bed....daddy comes...."

The look on this young girl's face was priceless, as I'm sure mine was as well. I tried to recover by telling the attendant that Addy wanted to sleep with us last night because she's suddenly afraid of monsters, but I don't think it helped. Kids say the darnedest things, right?

1 comment: