Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Procrastination

I picked up this book at the library and have been staring at it for over a week, seemingly lacking the ability to open it.


I'm scared of something, but I can't figure out what. Scared to actually label my child as strong-willed? Scared to try ways the book suggests for raising her and disciplining her, only to still feel like a failure that cannot relate to my child? Scared that I will love the ideas set forth, but my husband will not be on board? I really am not sure...none of those seem dead on. I know she's strong-willed, which means almost everything is a battle. I know I don't effectively encourage her and discipline her now, because I don't know HOW to, and I imagine that each day I procrastinate on opening this book, I lose a day of better parenting. So, why is it still sitting in the same spot I first put it over a week ago? It's due back at the library in five days, so I really need to conquer my fears and start reading.

2 comments:

  1. I am trying to think if I've read this one... but I don't think so. My two favorite parenting books so far are "Rasising Your Spirited Child" by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka and "How To Talk So Your Kids Will Listen... and Listen So Your Kids Will Talk" by Faber/Mazlish. I highly recommend both. Actually, I really need to re-read both of them, it's been awhile...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in almost this exact situation a year ago, only I had a whole stack of library books promising to teach me how to effectively raise my toddler. I never opened a single one but I still have outstanding library fines for them.

    Here's what I have to say on the subject: Don't be afraid and don't feel like a failure. The bottom line is she is 2-years-old. I'd be more inclined to think something was off if she was not strong willed. She's unbelievably smart and so are you. Go with your gut, let her lead occasionally, and pick your battles. I promise it will be a trying yet extremely fun year!

    ReplyDelete