Saturday, January 5, 2013

Playing a little catch-up

I neglected the blog a little bit in the last couple months of 2012, and there's definitely some stuff that I want to capture to look back upon, so I'm just gonna bundle all this random stuff together in a catch-up blog post. Some dates are approximate, because most pictures I take are on my iPhone, and to my knowledge, it doesn't record the date when a picture is taken. Which, in my opinion, is total bullshit. So if anyone knows of this function existing, please let me know. I'm not exactly an iPhone Pro.

Early November:
We took advantage of a sunny day and visited the Akron Zoo for our last trip of the season. I LOVE early and late season visits, because we virtually have the entire zoo to ourselves. Normally, there are tons of kids crowded around this random slide/play area they have, so in the past, I've strategically diverted Addy's attention from it as we walk by. But on this visit, there wasn't a soul around, and Addy's face lit up when she noticed the slide. She spent a good 10 minutes playing all by herself, repeatedly going down the slide, and up and down the ramp walkway. Good luck trying to divert her attention from now on, now that she knows it's there!


November 17:
My facebook status update was as follows:

Listening to my daughter talk to herself on the monitor, instead of napping, when suddenly I hear her door open...guess who climbed out of her crib?!? I met her halfway down the stairs, where she smiled proudly and exclaimed, "Nap, OUT!" Seriously...that had to be a graceful escape for me to have no idea she had climbed out! Looks like there's a toddler bed in our bedtime plans tonight...

Yeah...we set up the toddler bed that afternoon. And she loved it. Until it was time for bed. Here's a follow-up comment of mine on my status update (because I'm too lazy to re-type the story):

Addy is currently sleeping soundly in her crib, because OHMYGOD the torture of a big girl bed. I think if she fell out of her crib and broke her leg, there would be less screaming than what ensued tonight. And it turns out Matt and I were not on the same page with how to handle the screaming...so we caved. I guess he thought she would go down without a fight? Like, some miracle would take away her stubbornness for just this one night? Whatever. She's sleeping now. Tomorrow is another day I guess. I don't think she's emotionally ready for the toddler bed. I'm thinking we should leave the bed in the room and let her get used to it, but not push it unless she regularly climbs out of the crib. Clearly, the likelihood of an injury is low! We may have jumped the gun a little...


Turns out, the crib mattress was actually able to be lowered one more time. So, we lowered it and bought ourselves a little more time. Problem is, now she thinks the big girl bed is just a big toy in her room. So the new plan is we wait for her to take the lead, unless baby #2 comes along and needs the crib. In that event, we will remove the crib from her room. Because as long as it's an option, I don't see her willingly sleeping in the big scary would-rather-it-be-a-toy bed.

December 15:
Her newest obsession is books. This girl cannot get enough books. In this particular picture, she had lined up all the books in her playroom on the bench, "read" each one, then placed each neatly on the stack of finished books. She has three books that she reads aloud, based on her memorization of the story - Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What do you Hear?, Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you See?, and Goodnight, I Love You.
If anyone is bored and would like to come over and iron my
curtains, I wouldn't stop you. I don't iron.

December 26:
Addy and I each got lovely kitchen aprons for Christmas, so I decided that baking cupcakes was the perfect excuse to break them in! After scouring my pantry and Pinterest, I realized I had all the ingredients to make Strawberry Champagne cupcakes. We had a blast cooking together. Addy used her new play mixer, while I used my Kitchenaid stand mixer. We both ate way too much sugar. And I may have disposed of the extra champagne in a very tasty manner. The recipe was super easy and very tasty. I highly recommend it.

She's totally a pro at licking the batter off the mixer parts now.
Mama's so proud.

December 27:
Ladies and Gentleman, we have the very first full ponytail! She looks so grown up to me!

Late December:
Addy is also very interested in the alphabet now. She knows all of her letters both uppercase and lowercase, though sometimes she interchanges lowercase "b", "d", and "p". She spends time on her alphabet puzzle from Grandpa and Grammy at least once a day. Sometimes she goes in order from start to finish, but most of the time she bounces randomly throughout the alphabet. And every time we're in the car, we listen to Here Come the ABCs by They Might Be Giants, an awesome birthday gift from her friends M & E. She totally digs it. And because of a song on the album, I now know the alphabet backwards. This is a video I captured of her playing with the alphabet puzzle.



1 comment:

  1. 1. I remember seeing your post about her climbing out of her crib, but I must have missed the second one about the big girl bed not working out yet. I think you're doing the right thing by just letting it be in there so she gets comfortable with it... maybe one day she'll climb out of her crib and crawl into it, and you'll discover her there sleeping! You never know.

    2. I LOVE her ponytail!

    3. That is really good that she knows the letters out of order. That means she really *knows* them, not that she's just memorized the song. That's a big deal - your daughter is a lil smarty pants! :)

    ReplyDelete