Wednesday, December 12, 2012

2nd Annual Ornament Extravaganza

Last year, my bestie and I started a tradition with our two families of getting everyone together and making Christmas ornaments. Because the kids are little, we both love the clay ornaments that capture fingerprints. Last year, we purchased kits to make one handprint for each kid. This year, we wanted to get everyone's fingers involved, so we decided on this one:


Our inspiration from Pinterest
Everyone has some experience with the traditional salt dough, but my friend found a recipe using cornstarch that promised to make bright white, smooth finished pieces (which is probably what was used in the photo above). The recipe is simple: 1 cup baking soda, 1/2 cup cornstarch, and 1/4 cup water. This is the end result of my attempt at the family Christmas tree:


Forgot to leave room for our name!
I really liked the cornstarch dough as we were working with it. Unfortunately, most of my pieces broke, quite easily, while trying to paint them - including the tree. It's super glued together in two spots. The recipe instructs the dough to be baked for one hour, flipping halfway through. We actually baked them for two hours, and let them sit overnight, and they still broke in half with very little effort. However, I let the last two unbroken ones sit out for two more days, and they had gotten much more firm. So all that being said, I'm planning on making a second batch and redoing our family tree. Only this time, I will let them sit for three days before touching them!

Even though we were all a little disappointed, we still had lots of fun!

Addy helping me roll out the dough

Jen painting one of her ornaments


Addy, and Jen's oldest son, finger
painting some foam hands

And the absolute cutest moment of the night
was him and Addy chilling on the couch
The kids had a super fun, screaming loud time playing together and painting their ornaments. I absolutely love this tradition, and am so lucky to have such a great friend to share it with!

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh! They are so cute together! Your pic is much better than the ones I took. Also, sorry I didn't get any pics of YOU to prove you were there! :)

    ReplyDelete