Monday, January 2, 2012

Resolutions for 2012

1.       Lose 30 pounds by June 9th. I know, I know…I’m setting myself up to be just another statistic of those idiots that start out all gung-ho on January 1st, and by March have gained 5 more pounds. But I resolve to not be that person this year! I have a wedding to get ready for, a daughter to chase around, and a body to prepare for carrying a second baby. I have a fiance that loves me no matter what and he deserves to enjoy what he sees, rather than accept what he sees. I have so many reasons and no excuses…it’s not going to be easy, or quick, or fun. But it has got to happen. I’m going to make it happen by utilizing Sparkpeople.com every day to track my food and exercise. I’m going to take Boot Camp classes a couple of times a week through February at the minimum (thanks to Dad for the Christmas gift of two months membership).  I’m going to cheat sometimes, but start the next snack or meal or day as a new one. I will not quit just because I make one bad choice. I have gained 47 pounds in just short of 5 years. This is unacceptable and will not continue.

2.       Become more engaged. I am not good at actively listening to people when they are talking to me. I’m usually doing something else in my head, like reciting my grocery list or remembering something cute my daughter did the other day. I nod, use appropriate listening cues, but I usually forget what I’ve been told within a short time. This is not being a good friend or family member. This is selfish and rude. I wasn’t always this way, and it seems to get worse as time goes on. And it has gotten especially bad since having a baby. She takes up a lot of time, right? So when I have a minute to not be watching her, sometimes I’d like to just have quiet in my head and around me, so listening to someone else becomes just another obligation. But I need to stop viewing the act of having meaningful conversation with adults as an obligation or a bother, because it isn’t. It is healthy, and fun.

3.       Send notes and cards through snail mail. Is this a weird resolution? I love to find surprise REAL mail in the mailbox, don’t you? It means that someone loves me enough to expend the energy and time needed to pick out a card and/or write a note, address the envelope, put a stamp on it, and walk it to their mailbox. I always mean to do this in the back of my head, but it never actually happens. I don’t keep a steady supply of stamps, I don’t have people’s addresses handy, and I don’t take time to stop and look at cards at the store. But, since receiving the most awesome planner in the world, with a pocket that I can keep stamps in and a monthly listing of birthdays handy, I fully intend to reconnect with those I love through snail mail.

I’m going to stop here. If I sat here long enough, I could probably type up a list of 100 things I’d like to change in 2012, and only a small handful of them would happen. I can manage these three – I’m not asking too much of myself; I’m basically asking myself to redirect energy and time that is currently spent playing my DS or generally being lazy to improving my health and relationships.
Did you make any resolutions?

2 comments:

  1. I am SO with you on #2. This is a great weakness of mine as well, I think because either a) I'm so excited to be talking to another grownup that I'm flooded with all the things I want to say, instead of being a more active listener, and b) I sometimes get so hungry for mental stimulation that I tend to zone out (often with the assistance of the internet) and get lost in my own thoughts. (This is more of an area that I need to work on in terms of Shane & the kids; trying to be more *present* for them.) I'm not a big resolution maker, but this is something I'd already decided I need to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh I love resolution posts! I gotta start working on mine, and no, I don't think it's a weird resolution to send more snail mail. I was reminded of how fun it was to send and receive this year with Christmas cards! I do, however, have a funny mental picture of you and Jen sitting around having conversations while neither you are really listening! :)

    ReplyDelete