Thursday, August 4, 2011

B is for...

BLANKET

Hi, my name is Stacy. I suck my thumb.

Okay, I wouldn't be attending a thumb-suckers anonymous meeting today, but I could have when I was thirteen. Yup, that's right world. I sucked my thumb until the ripe old age of thirteen! I would say I'm not ashamed to admit that, but I'd be lying. Whenever my thumb was in my mouth, you would find my other hand rubbing the edge of material - a blanket, a pillowcase, my t-shirt for example. This was my world of security. This is where I felt calm and in control. And today, at the age of thirty, you will easily catch me still rubbing the edge of material. In fact, I'm doing it as I type this blog, whenever I pause to think of what to write next, I go straight for the edge of my t-shirt. Hey, some habits are hard to break.

Most kids have a favorite blanket that makes them feel secure, and Addy is no exception. Up until last week, the blanket was always kept in her crib. As soon as we lay her down to sleep, she reaches her arms out for the blanket. She grabs it and pulls it close with one hand, puts her thumb in her mouth, and rolls to the side, all with an attitude that says, "Gimmie gimmie gimmie...Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. G'night." It's beyond adorable. But with the introduction of Separation Anxiety, we've discovered that her blanket will calm her down in any situation. We've started to leave the blanket lying around the house, and as soon as she sees it, she rushes over to it and faceplants into it, sucking her thumb of course.

I couldn't get her sucking her thumb because she usually stops after a couple seconds, but I got some cute photos nonetheless...


2 comments:

  1. Aaaaahahahaha! Stacy! Omg! I sucked my thumb into my teens too! AND I had a blankie! My brothers always tell embarrassing stories about me and my blankie. AND. Lilah has one too! She does the faceplant thing too! Whenever she's upset, all I have to do is get her blankie and wrap her up in it, then everything is aaaaaaaaaaall better. LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha! Nice to know I'm not alone! Too funny. I'm glad she finds security with the blanket...makes it easy to calm her down!

    ReplyDelete