Monday, June 20, 2011

Worth the wait

In 2005, I spent five weeks abroad, traveling to London, Paris, and Rome. The entire trip was an amazing experience, one that I will always cherish. Four of the weeks were spent in London, attending Huron University for a small portion of time, and exploring the city the remainder of the time. I have been fortunate enough to travel many places over the years, but London...London has my heart. It's this massive city, filled with way too many people, right? But it feels more like home than anything I've known. Its parks are beautiful and peaceful, its streets are clean and orderly, its character is both boisterous and charming, and its mood is happy and content. Since the day I left the city, I've dreamed of going back. Unfortunately, this is the closest I'm going to get for now...




You see, that is the logo of the London Tube System. The names of the stops are in the blue bar that spans across the red circle. Upon approaching each stop, a pleasing British voice announces to the passengers,  "Mind the gap between the platform and the train." It sounds so much more polite than "Watch your step." And it's just one tiny memory of London out of thousands that I will never forget.

I purchased this onesie from a little souvenir shop located near the University. It says 'Mind the gap". I bought it assuming I would never have kids, but on the off chance I did, I wanted to preserve this little memory. The onesie stayed in its packaging until I was about eight months pregnant and began preparing the clothing for the baby, and I've been patiently waiting for her to be able to wear it. Today was six years and one month in the making, and it was totally worth the wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment