Sunday, May 29, 2011

It's been on my mind

There's a couple things I've been meaning to blog about for a long time...why in the world do we feel the need to repeat everything we say to a baby? For example:

"Who's that baby in the mirror? Who IS that baby in the mirror, Addison?"

As if they're going to miraculously understand us the second time we say it. Like Addison's gonna reply, "Oh, that's ME in the mirror?!?!?!" I do this all the time, and I've noticed everyone else does too. It drives me nuts when I catch myself doing it, yet I can't stop.

And why do we use words that don't exist and dumbed-down phrases? For example:

"Look at your feets!" or "Time to go night-night." (instead of "Time for bed") or "Say buh-byes!" (instead of "Say goodbye")

I mean, is that really what we want to teach our kids? How to use poor grammar? I always swore these phrases wouldn't enter my vocabulary if I was a parent, but I can tell you right now that they all will. I'm 100% sure of it. It's like our brains are wired for it and there's nothing we can do about it, even against our better judgement.

No comments:

Post a Comment