Friday, March 18, 2011

The American dream

So Matt and I have been kicking around the idea of maybe buying a house. During our walk tonight, we were talking about where we would consider living and what kind of house we'd like. I mentioned that, although we only plan to be in this first house for a few years, we have to accept the possibility that it could be five or more years, so we have to take into consideration the school system. We've also just learned that good friends of ours will be putting their house on the market soon. It's a wonderful house, one I've loved since the first moment I stepped into it a few years back. It's cozy and charming and nestled in a beautiful setting. But, it's in a location I'm not too fond of. Our conversation went something like this:

Me: "What school system would that be, Akron Public Schools?"
Matt: "Yeah, I'm pretty sure."
Me: "Oh no, I wouldn't even let Addy go to kindergarten there. We'd have to lie and say we live with my dad in Fairlawn so she could go to Copley-Fairlawn schools."
Matt: "Right, cuz we know how well that would go."
Me: "Well, we're white, so it would be no problem!"***

In case you've been living under a rock for the past couple months, this dialogue is referring to the ridiculous woman who fraudulently sent her kids to Copley-Fairlawn schools by falsifying documents stating she lived with her father in the Copley-Fairlawn residency area, was given a chance to pay back tuition when her lies were discovered, refused to pay the tuition, got charged with falsifying government documents, spent a few days in jail, and then tried to play the racism card.

Anyhow, we pay waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much for rent ($820 plus all the utilities). I don't want to give any more money to the most unresponsive landlord I've ever had. I want to have a solid place for Addy to grow up, at least for the first few years. Sure, I'd love to find our forever house right now, but our funds wont be high enough to get what I want in a forever house, even in this market. That will have to wait until Matt is a little more established in his career. Unless you know of a house that's about 1800 square feet, with a 2-car attached garage, 4 bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms, a large kitchen with lots of counter space, a nice deck, a big back yard, a woodburning fireplace, and a red front door, all for $120,000 or less. I wont hold my breath.


***I feel I should clarify for those that don't know me and/or my sense of humor...I don't actually think our being white would give us privileges. I'm not being racist...I'm just making fun of the situation that has been so far escalated it's not even funny...but it is funny...hence, I'm making fun of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment