Friday, February 18, 2011

Relief is spelled P-E-P-C-I-D

I took Addy to the pediatrician on Tuesday because of her reflux and gas issues, which are getting progressively worse as she gets older. Overall, the visit went well. She is otherwise healthy, growing normally, and she's in the 90th percentile for her weight - so basically, her digestive issues aren't causing her damage. There's nothing we can do for the gas since Mylicon drops are ineffective, but the doctor prescribed Pepcid for the acid reflux. We go back in 2 weeks for her four month well visit, and if her gas hasn't improved by then, she wants to run tests on her stool to detect any food allergies.

I felt a little uneasy about giving my daughter prescription medication at such a young age. If she has a reaction to it, she can't tell me what's wrong - it could be a headache, she could be dizzy, she might itch everywhere - and how am I supposed to know? I'm kind of against medication to begin with, I mean, I've battled depression for over 14 years and I'm just now trying medication myself. But, as a good friend put it, science is our friend. And I gotta say, three days into the Pepcid treatment, Addison is a totally different baby. Her feedings are going much better. She actually stops sucking to look up at me and smile. It's as if she's saying 'Thanks mom, this is soooooooo much better!" Her burps are nice and big and dry, and they come up much more easily. She burped all throughout the day yesterday, which in turn led to less air going into her intestines, and that resulted in a better nights sleep. Today she's as happy as can be. She's currently napping and really hasn't fussed all day - at least not because of gas pains.

I'm really happy that we seem to have gotten some relief for her and she's smiling more. I have a feeling that over the course of the next week or so, we're going to be experiencing a much better nighttime pattern than we have been for the past month. Halle-freakin-lujah.

1 comment: