Wednesday, January 26, 2011

At least one of us slept

As I type this, Addison is approaching her eighth hour of sleep - in a row. Did I really just type that?!? Given that she's almost three months old, this might not seem so 'big news' to some people. But this is the longest stretch she's ever slept. And it's come after 5 nights of (roughly) the following:

Start bedtime at 7:00 with a feeding
Keep upright so gas/hiccups/reflux are kept to a minimum
Pace floor for one hour as she screams because the gas hurts
Swaddle because she's calm for a few minutes
Unswaddle because she wont stop squirming in an attempt to push out gas
Pace floor for another hour
Change diaper
Feed again around 10:00
Keep upright so gas/hiccups/reflux are kept to a minimum
Pace floor for one hour as she screams because the gas hurts
Swaddle when given the opportunity
Pace floor for twenty minutes once she's finally settled down and closed her eyes
Lay her in crib and wish there were higher powers so I could pray to them that she stays asleep
Climb in bed at midnight
Get up at 4:00
Repeat the above until 7:00

So right now, at 7:40am, she's been sleeping since midnight. She woke up at 4:00, but was able to work out the gas herself. It took her a good 40 minutes, which I listened to on the monitor, just waiting for her to let out the "come get me now, please" cry. It never came, and I lost valuable sleep. Then I woke up every hour, looked at the clock, and listened to the monitor, assuming she'd be up at any minute. So I've decided, going forward, I'm turning off the monitor at night. If she's gonna sleep, damnit, I am too.

No comments:

Post a Comment